Sunday, July 17, 2016

Momma, DaDA!

What a good week. I feel like we have been battling sickness on and off for the past 2 months. Stomach flu, colds, coughs, croup, GI troubles, and ear infections. Where were all of these things during the crappy cold months? As not fun as it is to be sick during the winter, I feel like it is even worse during the summer. It is when you want to be outside!

The week of the Fourth was probably the scariest as far as sickness goes. The afternoon of the 4th, B started getting a fever. By late tuesday night, it had risen to over 104 degrees. Poor little guy. We could not cool him down, so we ended up taking him to the ER that night. Diagnosis: Double ear infection. Seriously? He had had one a few weeks before, so they had to put him on a stronger antibiotic. Unfortunately, the drugs have been so hard on his little tummy, so he was just miserable. The fever persisted for the next few days, fluctuating between 102 and 104 degrees. We were both so scared and nervous. I'll be honest, it is a week I don't want to revisit. I am sure I will in these child raising years, but hopefully no time soon. We both were on edge the whole week, praying so hard for improvement. It was a happy day when the fever finally broke.

Another stinker: Bennett now has major stranger danger when it comes to doctors and nurses. I don't think I have ever heard him scream so much and so hard. I had to take him to the doctor's for a follow-up appointment after the ER and the minute he saw the tech or the nurse, non-stop screaming. Hopefully, this is just a phase. It was pretty sad.

The only positive from all of this was B would just snuggle and practically pass out on my chest. He has never really done that, even as a newborn. Don't like sickness at all, but I loved cradling and snuggling my baby most of the week. The other positive is that times of scary sickness really give you an appreciation for times of wellness and how happy he is normally. To see him crawl around and laugh and play after was so fun and I was filled with so much gratitude. I am so grateful for doctors, medicine, and for priesthood blessings. It is a huge blessing to be married to someone who can serve us in that way when we are in need. I am so grateful for the many ways that Andy takes care of us, but especially little Bennett. He was definitely more calm through this whole ordeal, but you could tell he was just as concerned and filled with so much love for our little B.

Though still a little under the weather, we got to go over to Mom and Dad's for a family BBQ with cousins David, his wife Amy and Kiddos, as well as Julie and her girls. We had a yummy dinner, complete with Andy's signature homemade vanilla ice cream and fun in the backyard. Much needed time outside with the kiddos and Grammy and Poppa!
Me snuggling Baby Bren 

One of B's favorite things to do with his lips;)

snuggles on swings


of course, playing superman with uncle Stevo

This past week felt like a new life! The burden of sickness was lifted! with the exception of the kicking and screaming while giving him his medicine, B was pretty much back to normal.
Sick No More!
We celebrated wellness by going down to city Creek with Jess, Liam and Bren to get free Chick Fil-A. Apparently, if you dress up like a cow on free Chick Fil-A day, you get free Chick Fil-A! Say no more, we are there! I painted spots on a onesie and called it good.  It was nice to spend that time with Jess and our boys.
free Chick Fil-A!


"Free Chicken if I wear this ridiculous cow onesie my mom made me? Yes please!"

Later that day, we got to go to Aunt Michelle and Uncle John's for Grandma Marilyn's birthday party. It was pretty low key, but it was nice to all be together and to celebrate this remarkable and amazing woman. It's crazy to think that she is my only living grandparent, so we treasure any time we get to spend with her. It was also nice to visit with Aunt Michelle's family and cousin Julie and her family. Liam and Bennett loved playing in the yard too!
At Grandma's party



Perrier please?

i love this pic of Aunt Michelle and Grandma:)





We also got to celebrate Kim and her new baby Xander! Aunt Jennie threw the family shower at her home, complete with yummy salad, fruit, bread and Italian sodas! We went around the circle sharing the qualities of Kim's that will make her a good mom and we each shared our maternal lines. It is fun to see how we each connect with our mothers, grandmothers and great grandmothers. We all got a little emotional actually, it was a really beautiful thing to do at a shower. It was so nice to spend that time with my aunts and cousins. Since getting married and having a baby, those times are fewer and farther between, so it is really nice when it happens.

The Pinnock's have begun a new tradition. Sarah P. and Rob and Andrea came up with the idea to have a hoedown to celebrate national cow week. I don't know if we will do it during National cow week each year, but we had a BBQ and Rob and Andrea's friends came to teach us East Coast Swing! Rob had prepared music and we all just danced for hours! It was so fun. We all want to get together and do it more.

Andy and I get to go on our first date in 3 months! Mom and Dad were awesome and took B for the evening, while we went and got sushi and went shopping at City Creek. Luckily, we hit up some awesome sales. Shopping is one of those things that is absolutely no fun to do with a kid, so we took advantage of the time and actually enjoyed our shopping experience. We ended the night with an apple pie caramel apple and we watched the end of A League of Their Own with Mom and Dad. I love any chance to go on a date with my man! Especially after stressful parenting weeks.

One exciting thing that happened this week--Bennett said his first real words! Momma and Dadda! Yep, he can say both! And he is so darn cute when he says it. He also loves doing this happy dance thing, well, I guess a happy crawl. He just crawls in circles laughing as he lifts one hand at a time way off the ground. So cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment