Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Day Trip to Sion

Well, this past week was a whirlwind! Andy began a big work week and I got to meet up with some dear friends from home! Ruth and Bryan Todd and Dan and Allyson Chard were in Geneva for two days on a work trip, so we all got to walk around Geneva's Old Town and the Reformation wall! It was so fun to see them! The next day, Allyson and I got to spend the afternoon together walking along the Lakeside and down the river to our apartment, making a stop at Farvager's, a famous chocolatier, and then lunch at a small bistro. We had the best time! I love these wonderful people!

Two days later, I got  siiiiicccccckkkk. I caught some sort of bug, and I am still trying to get over it! When Saturday came around, I was still feeling kinda yucky, but I REALLY really wanted to go on a day trip Andy and I had planned. We packed a lunch, bought our train tickets, and headed to Sion, Switzerland!

Sion is the oldest known city in Switzerland, going back 7,000 years! It was about two hours from Geneva on the train, so perfectly doable in a day. Talk about a gorgeous train ride! We got to the town, walked around the historical sites close to the station, and then headed up into the Old Town. It was so pretty! Every corner, there was something beautiful

Church of St. Theodule


A historical tower where they tried and tortured witches. Yikes.


walking around the old town


The view down Rue du Grand-Pont, the main street of the town



We thought this enclosed bridge above the arcade was awesome 














 . We continued to walk further up, where there were hiking paths that led to two castles. These were pretty awesome! Everywhere we looked there seemed to be a different view of the mountains and sites. We also enjoyed our picnic lunch we packed:)


Chateau Tourbillon







I don't know the name of this little church, but we loved it!



view of Sion

 We got up to the Castle and Basilica Notre Dame de Valere. We went inside the basilica, where we saw some neat frescos and the world's oldest working organ (apparently). We really liked it!
I love this Fresco in the Basilica. So Beautiful.


Door to Valere Basilica. 





Church and Castle Notre Dame de Valere




I am really excited about our lunch spot!


Not a bad view whilst eating a sandwich?


View of the Alps

By the Church de Valere

View of Castle Notre Dame de Valere from our picnic spot




They have placed nice benches everywhere! love it
 We walked down from the Castle Notre Dame de Valere, where we were able to get awesome views of the Castle, Basilica, and the little church. We couldn't have asked for a better day! We then made our way up to Chateau Tourbillon, a castle and fortress on the neighboring hill. It was quite a hike up, but it was really awesome!
same wonderful church, love this angle


De Valere across the way



different ruins at Chateau Tourbillon




The outside wall of Tourbillon












Vineyard below Tourbillon

 It was so beautiful and peaceful. It was far enough away from the town that we were able to hear the nature all around us. Sounds kinda cheesy, but we loved it! It was nice to just wander around, sit and eat, and talk! We really treasure this time we have together. I love the moments we get to spend just talking and enjoying the beauty around us.

We had a great day, although we did cut it a little short because I was feeling sick and we were both pretty exhausted! We got on the train and headed home and ended our day with Fish Tacos and Ice Age:Continental Drift!

No comments:

Post a Comment