Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Hamburger in Hamburg?

Straight from the Netherlands, we flew to Hamburg, Germany. Andy had work both days we were there, so I was on my own! It was a pretty cool city. It was so large, I barely scratched the surface, but I loved walking the city. 
My first tourist attraction was Miniatur Wunderland! I was skeptical at first, paying 15 bucks to go see a bunch of miniature models. But this place blew my mind! There were miniature models of places around the world. What was really fascinating was the same German town modeled over the centuries, from feudal times up to present day.  They also modeled an airport and had an actual mini plane flying onto the runway! loved this place!
model of a German gestapo

So sad--Jewish prisoners. But the detail is fascinating.

They even dim down the lights so you have the night effect





Vegas!!!!


So.....this was funny. Illegal immigrant farmers being busted and a random deer running through the field
the airport.
 After Minitur Wunderland, I took a walk through the town! Hamburg is on the water, so there are gorgeous boats and waterways. Below are some of the oldest houses in the city!


 After getting some lunch, I went into a baroque-style church, which was very spectacular.



exterior of the church

Boats!


One of the ports

They have a tunnel that goes underneath the water. Kind of crazy walking through it!



 After walking along the port and the tunnel, I went to the main shopping street and just had fun. Saw some beautiful architecture along the way!
The Rathouse, a government building 


The lake by our hotel
After Andy got off work, we got some Thai food for dinner......and some ice cream! Quick trip, but fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment