The idea of "things of eternity" has been on my mind for the past two days. Not in a mind-blowing, brain-hurting way, but is a calm and peaceful way. Sometimes I avoid thinking about eternity because it is too difficult to wrap my mind around. (don't start doing it now, it kinda hurts your head ;) What I am talking about today is the comfort of knowing that there IS eternity. There are things in life that we may not fully understand, to the point where we can feel discouragement, confusion and pain. Sometimes we can't quite understand why some are given certain trials, or why others are dealt cards that seem outright unfair. There are dear friends of mine who are currently experiencing trials and circumstances that fall under this category. I greatly admire and look up to those who have the "eternal perspective" and are able to look forward with faith.
Nephi has become one of my heroes. Talk about being put through the ringer. There are obvious differences between Nephi and his wicked brothers in the Book of Mormon. Basically, Nephi is good and Laman and Lemuel struggle in that department. However, all three are generally obedient. At least with some things. They all left Jerusalem and followed Lehi into the wilderness. They all went back to try to get the brass plates. They all built a boat to go to the promised land. But they obviously had differences in desire. Not that Nephi desired to leave the comforts of Jerusalem and camp in the wilderness. But he did desire to obey the Lord, trusting that the Lord had something better in store for him beyond Jerusalem. When Lehi told his family about his Tree of Life dream, there were different reactions. Laman and Lemuel were definitely bewildered and confused, even angry. But I love Nephi's words in 1 Nephi 10:
17 And it came to pass after I, Nephi, having heard all the a words of my father, concerning the things which he saw in a b vision,
and also the things which he spake by the power of the Holy Ghost,
which power he received by faith on the Son of God—and the Son of God
was the c Messiah who should come—I, Nephi, was d desirous also that I might see, and hear, and know of these things, by the power of the e Holy Ghost, which is the f gift of God unto g all those who diligently seek him, as well in times of h old as in the time that he should manifest himself unto the children of men.
18 For he is the a same
yesterday, today, and forever; and the way is prepared for all men from
the foundation of the world, if it so be that they repent and come unto
him.
19 For he that diligently a seeketh shall find; and the b mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the c Holy Ghost, as well in these times as in times of old, and as well in times of old as in times to come; wherefore, the d course of the Lord is one eternal round.
I love this. His father's dream was difficult to understand, but Nephi understood the power of the Holy Ghost and how the spirit can reveal things that cannot be revealed or understood by worldly logic or wisdom. Because Laman and Lemuel were hardened, the Spirit could not penetrate to aid them in understanding, therefore, they didn't find joy in obeying the Lord. It is also interesting to see what happens to the future generations.
As much as I love what I found in 1 Nephi 10, it gets even better. An angel is revealing the meanings of all the components of Lehi's dream, but he asks Nephi questions beforehand. Here is one of the questions in 1 Nephi 11:
17 And I said unto him: I know that he loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things.
Isn't that beautiful? I think the knowledge of the Love of God was something that was rooted deep inside Nephi. I am sure that many questions bombarded Nephi at different times. For example, why leave Jerusalem? Why cross a big ocean? why are my brothers being bullies? Why are they roping me to the boat that I am responsible for building? Who knows if he wondered about these things (i think I would). Nephi obviously had a ton of questions concerning doctrine. But despite questions, he knew at his core that God loved him and all of His children.
And that was enough. Nephi was not going to let his lack of understanding in some areas interfere with his knowledge of God's love and the role of the Savior. After all, "the condescension of God" is that He sent His Only Begotten Son to condescend beneath the greatest pains, miseries, sins and afflictions that we suffer here on earth so that "He may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities."(Alma 7:12) Christ's Atonement is an eternal atonement. All that is unfair about this life can be reconciled by the Atonement of Jesus Christ, God's greatest gift to all.
Often I am guilty of getting so caught up in this life and my own personal problems; I don't stand back and look with a lens of eternity. This life is so short compared to the big picture.
Rather than a mind-boggling enigma, eternity can be our comfort. All eternal things can be our comfort, especially in times of trial. I love this scripture in Abraham 2. Verse 16 reads:
"Therefore, eternity was our covering and our rock and our salvation, as we journeyed from Haran by the way of Jershon, to come to the land of Canaan."
I hope we can all remember that God loves each one of us and He wants us to be close to Him. He wants so desperately for us to hang in there and feel the tender guidance and joy the Spirit brings. I sincerely believe that we will understand all the mysteries of God as we desire to do His will and trust in His timing. I also hope we remember that eternity can be our covering and our rock. These discoveries have blessed me so much, I hope they can bless you.
No comments:
Post a Comment