Okay.....back to progress on our house. Andy and I have learned a new skill: COPING. I had no idea what this was, except the definition "dealing with things the best we know how." But in the construction world, "coping" is used in crown moldings. Heh. Didn't know this before. This age-old carpenter's trick involves cutting the profile on the end
of one molding and fitting it against another like pieces of a puzzle.
The resulting joint is easy to file and sand for a perfect fit, even on
out-of-square corners.
Since there is nothing square about our house, this became a lifesaver. Blaine Smith, dad to my high school friend (and legend) Tucker Smith, was so wonderful and taught us how to do this trick. If anyone is looking for a skilled contractor, Blaine Smith is the man! He helped us but up the first few corners, and then Andrew, my dad and I followed his lead (with a few mishaps along the way!)
I have really liked being my husbands assistant! Though I may groan and complain sometimes, we have a lot of fun figuring these things out together. He has been very patient with me, that's for sure!
And might I say, moldings make a HUGE difference. I think they are the difference between good and GRRRRREATTT! to quote Tony the Tiger. It was definitely something we were glad to get completed though. It is a tricky skill, but definitely worth it!
 |
| Andy and Daddy putting up their first coped molding! |
 |
| Mommy is another great assistant |
 |
| Lookin good..... |
 |
| and the final product! |
 |
| We love this staple gun. Thanks Byron! |
 |
| Beautiful coped corner |
 |
| I am really proud of my man. He figured out how to do outside corners all on his own! |
 |
| The outside corner! |
No comments:
Post a Comment