Monday, November 11, 2013

Welcome to Geneve!

Woof. I can't believe that it has been almost two weeks since I got here, make it a month for Andrew! I must say, we were pretty happy to reunite after a few weeks! The night beofre I hopped on a plane, I had an art show. I am always pretty humbled by how kind and supportive family and friends are of each of my shows. Thank you to all who who came and showed interest! And huge thanks to Mom and my wonderful aunts, as well as our amazing neighbor Lindie Hoggan for helping set up and providing food!

Mom and Dad took me to the airport and gave me big hugs. I haven't gotten teary about leaving at all, but saying goodbye to my parents got me choked up. Andy and I have been so grateful for our parents for all the support and love they give, even though we are big kids now!

Then begun the lonnnnnnngggggg day of flight. I had 3 checked bags, as well as two carry-ons, and was a little stressed when I had to recheck all of the luggage at my first layover. Fortunately, I stacked a trolley, creating a tower taller than myself. I managed to get it all rechecked, thanks to the help of a nice, filipino airport worker. After talking with my AB Baby, I boarded another plane to Amsterdam. Regretfully, I only slept about 1 1/2 hours the whole flight. Woof. Was happy to get off that plane and only have an hour long flight to Geneva. And oh, sweet reunion with the love of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was so good to be together again. I know we are wimps, there are definitely couples who have to spend so much more time apart than our two weeks, but I was happy that those weeks were done.

We have made dear friends in the Newmans! Jane Newman is my Aunt Alison's sister, and she and her family have been living in Geneva for about 4 years. She has become my go-to person in our preparations for our move, and she has helped us get set up here. She drove us from the airport to her home, where Andrew had been staying the week previous and where we would stay for another week until we could get into our apartment. She has been kind enough to drive me to the grocery and electronics store to get what we needed. It is comforting to have family here! Love Jane and her family!

Last wednesday, Jane helped me load up the car with our suitcases and groceries, and drove me to our apartment! Andrew did a good job selecting the perfect apartment on Rue de la Dole! (pronounced "Rude la Dole" by the Swiss). We are in a great part of the city, pretty close to the Rhone River. We have a little grocery store right around the corner, as well as a small farmers market every monday that is one street over. We are just 5 bus stops away from church, and about 6 from Ikea! At the moment, we just have a mattress on the floor (thank you bishop Johnson for coming to Ikea with us to pick it up!), two chairs, a coffee table and a few lamps. We will be living out of suitcases for a few more weeks until our stuff ships here. So, a little echo-y at present, but it is nice to be in our own place and really begin our life here in the city.

We have a great ward! This English-speaking ward is made up of Expats, Filipinos, Mongolians and Africans....quite an ecclectic, but wonderful mix. Everyone has been really kind and has reached out. We look forward to getting to know everyone better. What would we do without the church?

Anyways.....here we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment