Monday, November 11, 2013

Bern!

Didn't wait too long to start traveling a bit! Last week, Andrew had a Swiss Accounting Law class in Bern, Switzerland's capital. I got to tag along, which was nice. It was pretty crazy to switch over to the German speaking part of the country. We could also sense a different atmosphere overall. We were told that the French and German speaking parts were quite different, so it was an interesting experience. Still can't have much communication with anybody no matter where we go, so we are really going to strive to learn French and a little German.

I was invited to an Art Festival in Montreux by a local artist I have been in correspondence with. Montreux is on the opposite end of Lake Geneva, and is a beautiful town! The train ride was spectacular! Everything is so green and gorgeous! I'm sure everyone on the train was thinking "who is this girl and why is she so fascinated by barns and cows?" My answer to them: Guys. Houses and barns look nothing like this where I'm from. And it is not this green where I am from. So I will take pictures! Beautiful ride!



I spent most of the day in the convention center where where the art festival was held, but I look forward to coming back with Andy to really explore what Montreux has to offer. It was an inspiring day! I love seeing the works of so many different artists who share a common thread of location. I saw all kinds of styles and subject matter; much of it was unlike anything I had seen in New York galleries. Some of the artists were very gracioius and took time to talk to me about their methods and processes. I loved all of it, and it made me itchy to get painting again and try all kinds of new things. I am excited to further explore the art community here.
After the festival, I took a walk along the water. I saw some amazing clouds!



The scenery here is quite spectacular. I feel very spoiled to live here, and then again, there are many aspects of the landscape that remind me of beautiful Utah!

Andrew and I enjoyed a nice dinner. It has been awhile since we have gone out to eat, so it was a special treat! We got Thai food, which was delicious. Still getting use to how expensive things are here. But it was fun!

The following day, I set out to explore the city of Bern! It is quite the epicenter of activity, especially with the government capital being here. I walked over to see the Bundeshaus, which are the country's Houses of Parliment, walked along the river, and then made my way to the famous Zeitglockenturm--Bern's clock tower! This clock is amazing! It dates back to the middle ages and has all kinds of different hands and bells that ring at different times. Along this main street is arcaded shopping. Albert Einstein lived on this street; it was in Bern that he did his research and discovered his theory of relativity.  Einstein said the weather has been bested in Bern and that "Both sides of the road are completely lined by old arcades so tha one can stroll from one end of the city to the other in the worst downpour without getting noticeably wet." These arcades seemed to go on for miles along what's known as the Kramgasse. Outside the sidewalk's edge are steeply angled cellar doors ar the street level that lead down to restaurants and shops. Several fountains line the center of this main road, all beautifully carved and handpainted.


The Beautiful Clock. Isn't it spectacular?
I spent a few hours just walking in and out of shops! I saw clothes, wood carvings, prints, jewelry, kitchenware, restaurants, bakeries, chocolateries, and a particular cheese shop that was quite stinky. I walked in and a the strong stench of cheese just flooded through me! You knew there was good cheese in there! I had a chance to eat my lunch at the end of the arcades, where I found this gem of a sitting area!


I sat on this lovely green bench! Aren't those houses beautiful?



I then went to the Bern Munster, which is the country's largest and most prominent cathedral. Much of the exterior had scaffolding around it, so it was hard to get a good picture. But it was a beautiful sight to behold! After my study abroad in London, I thought I had seen my fare share of cathedrals and churches, but this one was quite unique. The Munster was built in the gothic style, but what was different from others I have seen was the painted ceiling. Much of the interior decoration was dismanteled during the Reformation, with the exception of some stained glass and the entry portal. But I rather liked the painted ceiling. Quite lovely.

I then walked out to the Munsterplattform, a lovely terraced park outside the cathedral. From here, I saw beautiful views of the city.




It was a great day! We come back next week for the second part of Andrew's class, which means more exploration time for muah. Hopefully there will be time for Andrew to get out and see these sites!


1 comment: