Sunday, October 25, 2020

Bennett's 5th Birthday!

Our Benny Boo turned 5!!!! And boy was he excited. He had his special day all planned out. Eggs, cinnamon toast and oranges for breakfast on the "You Are Special Today" plate, a zoo outing with Daddy and Jense, and then pizza with red velvet cake with Mammy, Poppa and Uncle Hugh! Oh, and some fun presents;-)

Here is an excerpt from a letter I wrote for his birthday. His latest and greatest!
"You have loved saying you are now 5 years old. You have been excited for your birthday for months now, and you woke up pretty happy and giddy yesterday. You are growing up to be such a wonderful big boy.

Your latest? You still wake up at about 6:30 every morning, ready to roll! The rest of us are so tired, but you are ready to start the day! You are very inquisitive and are always asking questions about everything. The funniest as of late is inquiring about my body parts. I think you must have seen me get out of the tub or something, but the following day, I was just brushing my hair in the bathroom and you came in and asked, "Mommy, why did you cut off your penis?" Wow. I was left speechless. Not quite sure how to respond to that one. Pretty hilarious.

You love to play games. Card games in particular. You love Uno, War, Slapjack, Crazy 8, and Go Fish. Actually, you tend to find difficult adult card games and then morph the rules into some form of Go Fish. You still love a good puzzle and you have learned a lot from your Waterford Upstart online preschool program. You are learning how to read and spell words, which is fun. You were pretty bummed when preschool had to shut down because of COVID. you miss your buddies and you miss some of the fun projects you would do there. I think you are going to love kindergarten so much!

You and Jense have become the best of buds though! I guess that is the upside of a pandemic, you are kind of forced to enjoy who is right in your household. You like to show Jensen how to do things and he is pretty excited to follow your lead. You like to wrestle with each other, play games and puzzles, together, run around the main floor to songs, and playing outside! Thank goodness it is spring during all this pandemic craziness, or you two might be going crazy! We have busted out our kiddie pool and water guns, and you guys have had a really good time! Sometimes you guys bug each other and hit each other, which always leads to tears and tantrums, but most of the time, you love each other. You also like to be the bearer of news where Jensen is concerned. Two Sundays ago, Daddy and I were watching Music and the Spoken Word, and you ran in and told us that Jensen peed in the water in our bedroom and it was going "up." Up where? We ran into our room and saw that the humidifier was on. We took off the lid and saw Jensen's pee in there. Eww! So nasty! It was one of those instances that we were glad you tattled on your brother

You have gotten excited about the scriptures! We read every night and since we have started to have church at home, you have become more curious about people in the scriptures. And it is really sweet to watch you pray and sing primary songs.

You are getting good at riding your balance bike and scooter! We did a lot of scooter rides as soon as the pandemic shutdown began, and thank goodness. I think we all would have gone a little mad if we weren't able to go outside!

Your new favorite place? Bear Lake. Two weeks ago, Daddy had a really busy work week, so I drove you two boys up to Bear Lake to spend some time with Aunt Jess, Liam and Bren, who are living up there while visiting from Paris. You were in heaven! Four wheeler rides, a day at the beach, playing frisbee with Liam, reading books, going on walks, throwing rocks in the creeks, and running around, free as a bird out in the fields! 

I am so grateful for you Bennett. This has kind of been a rough year so far. I miscarried in January and again last month. I must say, both experiences knocked the wind out of me. It was extremely heartbreaking and I still have moments when I just burst into tears. But something pretty amazing happened after my miscarriage in April. Maybe you really have picked up on what is going on, but you have been really attentive and sweet to me. The days following my D&C, you constantly were giving me kisses and hugs and saying "I love you." my first miscarriage, I felt a little pressure to try to get pregnant again to stick with the timeline I had set up in my head. But the second time, it kind of hit me that I am not in control of what our family will look like, or at least what it is supposed to look like. I don't know God's plan for our little family, but I felt like He was reminding me that what Daddy and I have is so precious. You and Jensen. You two are my little miracles. I feel like everything feels so much sweeter. I am filled with more love for you guys. And I have been watching and observing you with new eyes. I love watching you discover things and get excited about things. Whether it's an earthworm, a rolly polly bug, or blossoms on the trees, I love the way you light up and get excited to tell me about what you are looking at. I was pretty cranky through those two short pregnancies, and I think it all took a toll on our relationship. But this whole past month has been so sweet and healing. I think we both have more patience with each other. One of my favorite things at the end of every day is to lie beside you and sing you songs. You wrap your arms around my neck and plant kisses on my cheek the whole time I sing to you. I love stroking your hair and watching you start to get sleepy. It is the sweetest thing. I am really lucky and blessed. I think about that day 5 years ago when you made me a mommy. I was so scared that I would mess it all up, and sometimes I still get nervous about that. But my whole life is so much more meaningful because of you. I love you so much my little 5 year old!"

Breakfast for the Birthday Boy!

The Zoo!
Monkey Time!
Safely Socially Distanced. In the Rain.

The only pic I got of the cake. Whoops



Remote Control Car from Mammy and Poppa


We also had a really fun party with cousins and Aunt Kimmee's! She let us use their fun blowup slide, and the kids had a blast with water guns, toys and....pizza and cupcakes!


Red velvet cupcakes! Red is his favorite color!
The crew!





oh boy
Present time!


Happy Birthday Benny Boo!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment